Specialisation: social policy, public policy, governance, women and leadership, disability
Professor Meredith Edwards is Emeritus Professor, ANZSOG Institute for Governance at the University of Canberra. While her original discipline is economics, her specific interests are:
- social policy,
- public policy processes
- women and leadership
- disability and employment, and
- current governance issues
- Deputy Vice Chancellor, University of Canberra (l997-2002)
- Deputy Secretary, Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet (1993-1996)
- Chair, Board of the Closing the Gap Clearing House 2009-20123
- Member, Board of The Australia Institute, 2001 – 2012
- Member, Board of Council for Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences 2008-2011
- Member, Committee of Experts on Public Administration, United Nations 2009 –
Fellow Institute of Public Administration Australia; Fellow Australian and New Zealand School of Government.
- Meredith Edwards with Cosmo Howard and Robin Miller (2001) Social Policy Public Policy From Problem to Practice. Sydney: Allen and Unwin.
- Meredith Edwards (2001) “Participatory Governance into the Future: Roles of the Government and Community Sectors”, Australian Journal of Public Administration, September.
- Meredith Edwards and John Langford (eds) (2002) New Players, Partners and Processes: A Public Sector Without Boundaries? Canberra: National Institute for Governance and School of Public Admin.
- Meredith Edwards (2002) “Public Sector Governance – Future Issues for Australia”, Australian Journal of Public Administration, June 2002.
- Meredith Edwards (2004) “Social Science and Public Policy: Narrowing the Divide”, Occasional Paper No 2, Academy of Social Sciences, Canberra.
- Meredith Edwards (2006) “Appointments to Public Sector Boards in Australia: A Comparative Assessment”,Issues Paper No.3, Corporate Governance ARC Project, July
- Meredith Edwards (2008), “Participatory Governance”, Issues paper No.6, Corporate Governance ARC Project, March
- Meredith Edwards (2010) “In Search of Useful Research: Demand and Supply Challenges for Policy Makers”, Public Administration Today, Issue 24.
- Meredith Edwards (2010) Chapter on “Policy Advice” in Parkin Andrew et al, Government, Power, Politics and Policy in Australia, 9th Edition, Longmans
- Meredith Edwards (2010) Chapter on “The Researcher-Policy-Practitioner relationship: some evidence and suggestions” in Bammer, Gabriele (ed.) Bridging the Known-Do Gap: Knowledge Brokering to Improve Child wellbeing, ANU Press
- Meredith Edwards et al (2013) Not yet 50/50: Barriers to the Employment of Senior Women in the Australian Public Service, Institute for Governance, University of Canberra.
Email: meredith.edwards [at] canberra.edu.au