Specialisation: Organizational and behavioural management accounting
Robert Chenhall is Emeritus Professor in the Department of Accounting at Monash University. He is recognized as a leading international researcher in the organizational and behavioral aspects of management accounting. Robert has published extensively with many papers in leading academic journals, including The Accounting Review, Accounting Organizations and Society, Behavioral Research in Accounting, Journal of Management Accounting and Management Accounting Research. He is, or has been, a member of 12 editorial boards, which include most of the highly-ranked journals which publish management accounting research. Robert has been actively involved in designing management control systems in private and public organizations including the military and non-government organizations. He has been responsible for the design and delivery of a variety of doctoral courses and events across Europe and in Australia. He has also been involved extensively in executive education in Australia and Europe and in consulting to a large number of organizations.
Emeritus Professor, Monash University (2013-present).
Professor of Accounting & Finance (Monash University (1989-2012).
Professor of Business Economics, La Trobe University (1985-1988).
Victorian Academic Director of INSITE (formerly ACMAD: Australian Center for Management Accounting Development).
Head of Department of Accounting, Latrobe University (1985-1988).
Head, Department of Accounting & Finance, Monash University (1991-1994).
Associate Editor of Journal of Management Accounting Research (2001-2003).
Foundation member of EDEN program in management accounting research for EIASM (1999-2005).
Editorial Boards of: Accounting, Organisations & Society, Journal of Accounting & Public Policy, Behavioural Research in Accounting, Management Accounting Research, European Accounting Review, Accounting & Business Research, Accounting Research Journal, Contemporary Perspectives in Management Accounting, Journal of Accounting & Organizational Change, Journal of International Accounting, Asian Journal of Accounting and Governance, Accounting & Finance.
Fellowships: Fellow of CPA Australia (FCPA).
Memberships: Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, American Accounting Association, European Accounting Association.
Awards: Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand's 'Outstanding Contribution to Accounting and Finance Research Literature Award' (2009). 'Lifetime Contribution Award' from the Management Accounting Section of the American Accounting Association (2011). Induced into the 'Australian Accounting Hall of Fame' (2014).
1. Chenhall, R.H., Hall, M & D. Smith. D. 2013, Performance measurement, modes of evaluation and the development of compromising accounts, Accounting, Organizations and Society, 38, 4, 269-287.
2. Chenhall, R.H., Hall, M & D. Smith. D. 2010, Social capital and management control systems: a study of a non-government organizations, Accounting, Organizations and Society, 35, 737-756.
3. Chenhall, R.H. 2008, Accounting for the horizontal organization: a review essay, Accounting, Organizations and Society, 33, 4-5, 517-550.
4. Chenhall, R.H. & Langfield-Smith, K. 2007, Multiple perspectives in performance measures, European Journal Management, 5, 4, 266-282.
5. Chenhall, R.H. & Euske, K. 2007, The role of management control systems in planned organizational change, Accounting, Organizations and Society, 32, 7/8, 601-637.
6. Chenhall, R.H. 2007, Theorizing contingency research in management accounting, Chapter in Handbook in Management Accounting, Vol 1, Chapman, C., Hopwood, A. & Shields, M. (ed). Amsterdam, Elsevier.
7. Chenhall, R. H. & Langfield-Smith, K. 2003, The role of employee pay in sustaining organisational change, Journal of Management Accounting Research, 117-143.
8. Chenhall, R. H. & Langfield-Smith, K. 1998, The relationship between strategic priorities, management techniques and management accounting: an empirical investigation using a systems approach, Accounting Organizations and Society, 23, 3, 243-264.
9. Chenhall, R.H & Morris, D. 1995, Organic decision and communication processes and management accounting systems in entrepreneurial and conservative business organisations, OMEGA: The International Journal of Management Science, 23, 5, 485-497.
10. Chenhall, R.H & Morris, D. 1986, The impact of structure, environment and interdependence on the perceived usefulness of management accounting systems, The Accounting Review, January, 16-35.
Email: robert.chenhall [at] monash.edu