Specialisation: Teacher education, Science teaching and learning, Secondary school education, Reflective practice, Practitioner research
Professor JOHN LOUGHRAN is the foundation Chair, Curriculum and Pedagogy, Faculty of Education, Monash University and Sir John Monash Distinguished Professor. He is currently researching teacher education. Other areas of expertise include:
- Science Education
- Reflective Practice
- Teaching and Learning in Secondary Schools.
Key appointments in the last ten years:
- Associate Dean
- Director of Higher Degrees
- Director of Pre-service Education.
- Executive Dean, Faculty of Education, Monash University (2010 – present)
- Associate Dean, Faculty of Education, Monash University (2005 – 2007)
- Director, Higher Degrees by Research, Monash University (2002 – 2005)
- Director, Pre-service Education, Monash University (1995 – 1999)
Loughran, J., Berry, A., & Mulhall, P. (2012). Understanding science teachers’ pedagogical content knowledge. Dordrecth: Sense.
Loughran, J. (2010) ‘What expert teachers do: Teachers’ professional knowledge of classroom practice’. Sydney: Allen & Unwin and London: Routledge.
Russel, T., & Loughran, J. (eds) (2007) ‘Enacting a Pedagogy of Teacher Education’. London: Routledge.
Loughran, J. (2006) ‘Developing a Pedagogy of Teacher Education’. London: Routledge.
Loughran, J., Hamilton, M.L., LaBoskey, V., & Russell, T. (eds) ‘The International Handbook of Self-Study of Teaching and Teacher Education Practices (Vols 1 & 2)’. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
Loughran J, Mitchell I & Mitchell J (eds) (2002) ‘Learning from Teacher Research’. New York: Teachers College Press.
Loughran, J., & Northfield, J. (1996) ‘Opening the classroom door: Teacher, Researcher, Learner’. London: Falmer Press.
Email: john.loughran [at] monash.edu
Work Phone: 03 9905 2800