Specialisation: Economic, environment, agriculture, resource, biodiversity, rights, water
Mike Young currently holds the Gough Whitlam and Malcolm Fraser Chair in Australian Studies at the Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences. Formerly he directed the University of Adelaide’s Environment Institute and held a Research Chair in Water Economics and Management at the University of Adelaide.
An active member of the Wentworth Group of concerned scientists, Mike has played a key role in the development of water policy in Australia. Last year, he was named South Australian of the Year (Environment). Identified by the Canberra Times as one of the 10 most influential people in water policy reform, he has been awarded the Land and Water Australia Eureka Award for Water Research and a Centenary Medal for his contribution to environmental economics.
Recently, the Sunday Mail identified Mike as one of the 50 most influential people in South Australia and the person most likely to change the place South Australian's live in.
- Member, South Australian Government's Sustainability Roundtable
- Member, South Australian Government's State of Environment Advisory Committee
- Inaugural President, Australia New Zealand Society for Ecological Economics
- Secretary/Treasurer, International Society for Ecological Economics
- Member, Council for Sustainable Vegetation Management
- Member, International Livestock Research Centre.
- Young, M.D. and McColl, J.C (2008) Double trouble: the importance of accounting for and defining water entitlements consistent with hydrological realities. The Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 53:19–35
- Bryan, B., Marvanek, S.; Hajkowicz, S. and Young, M.D. (2008) Mapping economic returns to agriculture for informing environmental policy in the Murray-Darling Basin, Australia. Environmental Modeling and Assessment (In Press).
- McColl, J. and Young, M. (2006) Drought and Structural Adjustment. Farm Policy Journal 3(2):13-21.
- Young, M.D. and McColl, J.C. (2005) Defining tradable water entitlements and allocations: A robust system. Canadian Water Resources Journal 30(1):65-72.
- 5.Hatton MacDonald, D., M. Barnes, J. Bennett, M. Morrison, and M. Young (2005). "Willingness to Pay for Higher Customer Service Standards in Urban Water Supply". Journal of the American Water Resources Association 41: 719-728
- Townsend, R.E. & Young M.D. (2005) Evergreen Leasing of Aquaculture Sites. Marine Resource Economics 20:203–210.
- Young, M.D and McColl, J.C. (2004) Parting the Waters: Frontiers in Water Management. Dialogue 23(3):4-18.
- Townsend, R.E.; McColl, J.C.; Young, M.D (2006) Design principles for individual transferable quotas. Marine Policy 30:131-141.
- Hatton MacDonald, D.; Barnes, M.; Bennett, J.; Morrison, M.; and Young, M.D. (2005) Using a choice modelling approach for customer service standards in urban water. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 41 (3), 719–728.
- Hajkowicz, S. and Young, M.D. (2004) Costing yield oss from acidity, sodicity and dryland salinity to Australian Agriculture. Land Degradation & Development 16:417-433.
- Young, M.D. and McColl, J. C. (2003) Robust reform. The case for a new water entitlement system for . Australian Economic Review 36(2):225-34.
- Young, M.D. and McColl, J. C. (2003) Robust separation: A search for a generic framework to simplify registration and trading of interests in natural resources. Agricultural Science 15(1):17-22.
- Young, M.D and Hatton MacDonald, D. (2003) An opportunity to improve water trading in the South East catchment of . Water Policy 5(2):127-146.
- Hajkowicz, S. and Young, M.D. (2002) An economic analysis of revegetation for dryland salinity control on the Lower Eyre peninsula in . Land Degradation & Development 13:1-12.
- Greiner, R.; Young, M.D.; McDonald, A.D.; and Brooks, M. (2000) Incentive instruments for the sustainable use of marine resources. Ocean and Coastal Management 43:29-50.
- Young, M.D. (2000) Sustainability and Global Environmental Policy: New perspectives by Dragun and Jackobsson.. Ecological Economics 32:334-6.
- Costanza, R.; Andrade, F.; Antunes, P.; van den Belt, M.; Boesch, D.; Boersma, D.; Catarino, F.; Hanna, S.; Limburg, K.; Low, B., Molitor, M.; Periera, K.; Rayner, S.; Santos, R.; Wilson, J.; and Young, M. (1999) Ecological economics and the governance of oceans.. Ecological Economics 31:171-187.
- Young, M.D. (1999) The design of fishing-right systems - the NSW experience. Ecological Economics 31:305-316. (Update of Young 1996a)
- Young, M.D. and Evans, R. (1998) Groundwater pollution: can right markets help? Water 25(4):44-47.
- Smyth, R.E and Young, M.D. (1998) Costing soil erosion: A state-wide approach. Land Degradation and Development 9:513-527.
- Young, M.D. (1997) Share management - Facts and fallacies. NSW Commercial Fishing 2:22-4.
- Walker, P.A. and Young, M.D. (1997) Using integrated economic and ecological information to improve government policy. International Journal of Geographical Information Science 11(7):619-632.
- Gunningham, N. and Young, M.D., (1997) Toward optimal environmental policy: The case of biodiversity conservation. Ecology Law Quarterly 24(2):243-296.
- Young, M.D. (1996) Earth politics (Book review) Ecological Economics 18:258-259.
- Young, M.D and Howard, B (1996) Can Australia afford to build a comprehensive, adequate and representative reserve network by 2000? Search 27(1):22-26.
- Young, M.D. (1996a) The design of fishing-right systems - the NSW experience. Ocean and Coastal Management 28(1-3):45-61.
- Mallawaarachchi, T., , P.A., Young, M., Smyth, R.E., Lynch, H.S. and Dudgeon, G. (1996) GIS-based modelling for natural resource management. Agricultural Systems 50:169-189.
- Young, M.D. (1995) Inter-generational equity, the precautionary principle and ecologically sustainable development. Nature & Resources 31(1):16-27
- Young, M.D. (1995) Equité intergénérations, principe de précaution et écodéveloppement. Nature & Resources 31(1):16-27
- Young, M.D. (1993) Ecologically-Accelerated Trade Liberalisation: A set of disciplines for environment and trade agreements. Ecological Economics 9:43-51.
- Young, M.D. (1992) Sustainable investment: The economic challenge. Impact of Science on Society 166:111-119.
- Solbrig. O. T. and Young, M.D. (1992) An environmentally sustainable, profitable and equitable future for the world's savannas. Environment 34(3): 6-15 & 32-35.
- Lutz, E. and Young, M.D. (1992) Integration of environmental concerns into agricultural policies of industrial and developing countries. World Development 20(2):241-253.
- Young, M.D. (1991) Natural resource accounting. Journal of the National Research Institute of Agricultural Economics 9(3):49-62. (Text in Japanese.)
- , B.G., and Young, M.D. (1990) An economic perspective on future directions for the Australian sheep-grazed rangelands. The Australian Rangeland Journal 12(2):91-115.
- Young, M.D. (1988) Some steps in other countries. EPA Journal 14(3):24-25.
- Young, M.D. (1988) The effects of agricultural supply control policies developing countries and on the environment and consumers within the European Community. CAP Briefing, 15-16, 7-15.
- Young, M.D., , P.A. and Cocks, K. D. (1986) Land use in 's rangelands. Australian Rangeland Journal 8(2), 131-39.