Specialisation: sexuality; HIV/AIDS, men's health; qualitative methodologies
Professor Gary W. Dowsett, PhD, FASSA, is Deputy Director at the Australian Research Centre in Sex, Health and Society at La Trobe University, Melbourne. From 2002 to 2009, he was also Associate Professor in Clinical Sociomedical Sciences at Columbia University in New York, where he spent 2003-04 teaching in the graduate program and and also working with the HIV Center for Clinical and Behavioural Studies. A sociologist by trade, he has long been interested in sexuality research, particularly in relation to the rise of modern gay communities. Since 1986, he has been researching the HIV epidemic particularly in Australia and internationally. In 2003, he was elected to the International Academy of Sex Research, and in 2005, he was awarded a five-year Victorian Health Promotion Foundation Senior Research Fellowship researching masculinity, sexuality and health. He was appointed to a Personal Chair in Sex, Health and Society at La Trobe University that same year. He is now working on sexuality and relationship issues for men diagnosed with prostate cancer. He was appointed Adjunct Professorial Fellow in the Centre for Social Research in Health at UNSW Australia. Other areas of expertise include:
•Qualitative research methodology
•Critical Sexuality Studies and Queer Theory
•Research training in HIV/AIDS and international sexual health
•Various consultancies and temporary advising activity for WHO, UNAIDS and UNDP, 1989 to present.
- Dowsett, Gary W. (2009) HIV/AIDS: a case study in moral panics and sexual rights, In Moral Panics, Sex Panics: The Fear and the Fight over Sexual Rights. G. Herdt (eds.). New York: New York University Press.
- Dowsett, Gary W., Williams, Heru, Carballo-Dieguez, Alex & Ventuneac, Ana (2008) Taking it like a man: masculinity and barebacking online, Sexualities 11(1): 121-141.
- Rowe, Mathew S. & Dowsett, Gary W. (2008) Sex, love, friendship, belonging and place: is there a role for ‘gay community’ in HIV prevention today?, Culture, Health and Sexuality 10(4): 329-344.
- Dowsett, Gary W. (2007) Researching Gay Men’s Health: The Promise of Qualitative Research, In The Health of Sexual Minorities: Public Health Perspectives on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Populations. Ilan H Meyer & Mary E Northbridge (eds.). New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum.
- Dowsett, Gary W. & Couch, Murray (2007) Male circumcision and HIV prevention: is there really enough of the right kind of evidence?, Reproductive Health Matters 15(29): 33-44.
Email: g.dowsett [at] latrobe.edu.au
Work Phone: 03 9479 8700