Discipline: Political Science
Specialisation: Philosophy of Social Science; Political elites; power and freedom; rational choice theory
Keith Dowding is Distinguished Professor of Political Science and Political Philosophy, School of Politics and International Relations, and member of the the Centre for Moral, Social and Politiical Theory, School of Philosophy in the Research School of Social Sciences, Australian National University. He is a political scientist and political philosophy who has published widely in public administration and public policy, comparative politics, urban politics and political philosophy. He has published books on the philosophy of political science, political power, the careers of political elites, on public service provision . He is a founder and executive member of SEDEPE (the Selection and De-Selection of Political Elites) network of scholars examining the career paths of ministers throughout the world, and edits a book series on social and political elites for Routlege. He edited ‘The Journal of Theoretical Politics’ 1995-2011.
- Research Professor, School of Politics and International Relations Research School of Social Sciences, Australian National University, Canberra, ACT 0200, Australia from July 2007
- Head of Program, Political Science Program RSSS, from December 2007 to January 2010
- Director of Research, College of Arts and Social Sciences, from January 2010 to December 2011.
- Power, Luck and Freedom: Collected Essays, , Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2017
- Policy Agendas in Australia, (with Aaron Martin), London: Palgrave, 2017
- The Philosophy and Methods of Political Research, London: Palgrave, 2016
- The Selection of Ministers Around the World (edited with Patrick Dumont), London: Routledge, 2015
- Exits, Voices and Social Investment: Citizens’ Responses to Public Services (with Peter John) Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2012
- Accounting for Ministers: The Hiring and Firing of Ministers in British Government 1945-2007 (with Samuel Berlinski and Torun Dewan) Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2012,
- Ministerial Careers and Accountability in the Australian Commonwealth Government (edited with Chris Lewis) Canberra: ANU E Press, 2012,
- Encyclopedia of Power, (edited) Beverly Hills, Sage, 2011
Email: keith.dowding [at] anu.edu.au
Work Phone: 02 6125 9546