Specialisation: Health inequities, Social determinants of health, Political economy of health
Professor Fran Baum, Matthew Flinders Distinguished Professor , is Director of the Southgate Institute for Health, Society and Equity at Flinders University. She was formerly Head of Department of Public Health, Flinders University, and Foundation Director of the South Australian Community Health Research Unit. Professor Baum specialises in research on the social determinants of health, the political economy of health and the evaluation of community based health promotion programs.
- ARC Federation Fellow (2009-2014)
- Commissioner, Commission on the Social Determinants of Health (2005 - 08 WHO)
- Co-Convenor, Global Co-ordinating Group of the People's Health Movement
- Program Leader, Social Determinants of Health Program, Co-operative Research Centre in Aboriginal Health (2002 - continuing)
- National President, Public Health Association of Australia (1999 - 2000)
- Member, South Australia Health and Medical Research Council.
- F. Baum (2008) The New Public Health (3rd Edition). Melbourne: Oxford University press.
- Fran Baum and Sarah Simpson (2006) Building Healthy and Equitable Societies: What Australia can do to Contribute to and Learn from the Commission on Social Determinants of Health, Australian Journal of Health Promotion.
- Christine Putland, Colin MacDougall, Fran Baum and Ann Ziersch (2006) Neighbourhood Life and Social Capital: the Implications for Health, Social Science and Medicine (60: 71-86).
- Fran Baum, Colin MacDoungall and Danielle Smith (2006) Glossary of Participatory Action in Research, Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health (60: 855-857).
- Fran Baum (2006) Commentary of the Alma Ata Declaration, Social Medicine (4th. Ed.).