Specialisation: social policy, welfare state, gender, work, women's health
Bryson's specialist areas are social policy, gender, welfare state, work and women's health. She researches the changing Australian welfare state and as one of the original chief investigators, remains part of the team undertaking the Australian Longitudinal Study of Women's Health (Women's Health Australia).
- President, National Foundation for Australian Women
- ARC Research Training and Careers Committee
- National Ideas for Australia Committee
- Advisory Committee on Discrimination, Australian Defence Force
- Reviewer, Public Health Education and Research Program, Department of Health and Aged Care
- Lecturer - The Barton Lecture Series, NSW Centenary of Federation.
- Lois Bryson and Ian Winter (2002) The Price of Prosperity: The Economic and Social Costs of Unemployment. Sydney: UNSW Press.
- Lois Bryson (2001) The New Differences between Women, In Unity and Diversity: A National Conversation, the Barton Lectures. Helen Irving (eds.). Sydney: ABC Books.
- Lois Bryson (2001) Australia: the Transformation of the Wage Earners' Welfare State, In International Social Policy. Pete Alcock and Gary Craig (eds.). Basinstoke, Hampshire: Palgrave.
- Lois Bryson (2001) International Encyclopedia of Women, In Economy and Welfare; Privatisation; Political Economy. Cheris Kramarae and Dale Spender (eds.). New York: Routledge .
- Lois Bryson (2001) Motherhood and Gender Relations: Where to in the Twenty-first Century?, Just Policy 24: 12-24.
- Lois Bryson, Kathleen McPhillips and Kathryn Robinson (2001) Turning Public Issues into Private Troubles: Lead Contamination, Domestic Labor and the Exploitation of Women's Unpaid Labor in Australia, Gender and Society, Volume 15 (5): 754-772.
- Lois Bryson (2000) Family, State, Market and Citizenship, In Issues facing Australian Families: Human Services Respond. Wendy Weeks and Majorie Quinn (eds.). Melbourne: Longman Cheshire .
- Lois Bryson (2000) Citizenship, Caring and Commodification, In Gender and Citizenship in Transition. Barbara Hobson (eds.). London: Macmillan.
- Lois Bryson and Ian Winter (1999) Social Change Suburban Lives: An Australian Newtown 1960s to 1990s. Sydney: Allen and Unwin.
- Lois Bryson (1998) The Women's Health Australia Project and Policy Development, Australian Journal of Primary Health Interchange, 4(3):59-71.
- Lois Bryson and Penny Warner Smith (1998) Employment and Women's Health, Just Policy, 14:3-14.
- Lois Bryson (ed) (1994) Women and Violence: Women Successfully Dealing with Violence. Canberra: National Foundation for Australian Women.
- Lois Bryson (1992) Welfare and the State: Who Benefits?. London: Macmillan.