Specialisation: Rural, regional, governance, environment, financialization
Geoffrey Lawrence is Emeritus Professor of Sociology and former Head of the School of Social Science (2002-2010) at the University of Queensland. He specialises in rural and regional sociology and agrifood research. He co-founded the Australasian Agrifood Research Network in 1993 and the interdisciplinary journal Rural Society in 1994. He was on the management committee of the community-based NRM group, the Fitzroy Basin Association, for over a decade and was made a Life Member in 2002. In 2003 he was appointed by the Federal Government to the Scientific Advisory Panel of the Lake Eyre Basin Ministerial Forum. He was elected President of the International Rural Sociology Association (2012-2016). He has been the recipient of over $15m in research grants and has published 30 books and over 500 book chapters, journal articles and research monographs. He has been a visiting fellow at Cornell University, the University of Madison-Wisconsin, Michigan State University, Essex University and the Norwegian University of Technology. His current research is on: the governance of food security in an era of climate change; the ‘financialisation’ of food and agriculture; and, neoliberal globalisation.
Emeritus Professor, University of Queensland
- Life Member, Fitzroy Basin Association, Central Queensland
- Life Member – The Australian Sociological Association (TASA)
- Member – Rural Sociological Society (US)
- Member – European Rural Sociological Association
- Co-founder and Member – Australasian Agrifood Research Network
- Member – Australian Political Economy Movement
- Bjorkhaug, H., Magnan, A. and Lawrence, G. (eds) (forthcoming 2018) The Financialization of Agri-food Systems: Contested Transformations, UK: Routledge.
- Larder, N., Sippel, S. and Lawrence, G. (2017) Grounding the Financialization of Farming, Agriculture and Human Values 34.
- Lawrence, G. (2016) Food Systems and Land: Connections and Contradictions, in M. Shucksmith and D. Brown (eds) Routledge International Handbook of Rural Studies. UK: Routledge.
- Lawrence, G. (2015) Defending Financialization, Dialogues in Human Geography 5, 2.
- Lawrence, G., Sippel, S. and Burch, D. (2015) The Financialisation of Food and Farming, in G. Robinson and D. Carson (eds) Handbook on the Globalisation of Agriculture. UK: Routledge.
- Lawrence, G. and Dixon, J. (2015) The Political Economy of Agri-food: Supermarkets, in A. Bonanno and L. Busch (eds) Handbook of International Political Economy of Agriculture and Food. UK: Edward Elgar.
- Burch, D., Dixon, J. and Lawrence, G. (eds) (2013) From Seedlings to Supermarket: Agrifood Supply Chains in Transition, Special Edition of Agriculture and Human Values 30, 2.
- Lawrence, G. and McMichael, P. (eds) (2012) Food Security, Special Edition of the International Journal of Sociology of Agriculture and Food 19, 2.
- Carl, J., Baker, S., Scott, J., Hillman, W. and Lawrence, G. (2012) THINK Sociology. Frenchs Forest: Pearson.
- Lawrence, G., Lyons, K. and Wallington, T. (eds) (2010) Food Security, Nutrition and Sustainability. London: Earthscan.
- Burch, D. and Lawrence, G. (eds) ( 2007) Supermarkets and Agri-food Supply Chains: Transformations in the Production and Consumption of Foods. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar.
- Cheshire, L., Higgins, V. and Lawrence, G. (eds) (2007) Rural Governance: International Perspectives. London: Routledge.
- Lockie, S., Lyons, K., Lawrence, G. and Halpin, D. (2006) Going Organic: Mobilising Networks for Environmentally Responsible Food Production. Wallingofrd: CAB International.
- Higgins, V. and Lawrence, G. (eds) (2005) Agricultural Governance: Globalization and the New Politics of Regulation. London. Routledge.
- Hindmarsh, R and Lawrence, G (eds) (2004) Recording Nature: Critical Perspectives on Genetic Engineering. Sydney: UNSW Press.
- Almas, R and Lawrence, G (eds) (2003) Globalization, Localization and Sustainable Livelihoods. Aldershot: Ashgate.
- Lawrence, G, Higgins, V and Lockie, S (eds) (2001) Environment, Society and Natural Resource Management. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- Gray, I and Lawrence, G (2001) A Future for Regional Australia: Escaping Global Misfortune. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Burch, D, Goss, J and Lawrence, G (eds) (1999) Reconstructing Global and Regional Agricultures: Transformations in Australasian Economies and Spaces. Aldershot: Ashgate.