Specialisation: History, Gender Studies, Cultural Studies, Asian Studies, Citizenship, Human Rights, Globalisation
Vera Mackie is Senior Professor of Asian and International Studies in the Faculty of Law, Humanities and the Arts at the University of Wollongong. She is Chief Investigator, with Sarah Ferber and Nicola Marks, on an Australian Research Council Discovery Project on ‘IVF and Assisted Reproductive Technologies: The Global Experience’ (DP150101081) and Chief Investigator, with Diane Kirkby, Tanya Fitzgerald and Tangerine Holt, on ‘Fostering Women Leaders through Educational Exchange, 1930–1980’ (LP150100904). She is a Board Member of the International Federation for Research in Women’s History and a former Convenor of the Australian Women’s History Network. She is a Fellow of the Royal Society of New South Wales.
Senior Professor of Asian and International Studies, University of Wollongong, 2014–
Associate Dean, Research, Faculty of Law, Humanities and the Arts, University of Wollongong 2016–2018
Australian Research Council Future Fellow, University of Wollongong, 2010–2014.
Australian Research Council Australian Professorial Fellow, University of Melbourne, 2004–2010.
Visiting Professor, Graduate School of Social Sciences, Hitotsubashi University, 2006–2007.
Dean, Centre for Research and Graduate Studies, Humanities, Curtin University, 2003–2004.
Visiting Professor, Faculty of Arts, Victoria University, 2002.
Visiting Professor, Institute for Gender Studies, Ochanomizu University, 2001–2002.
Head, School of Languages and Intercultural Education, Curtin University, 2000.
Foundation Professor of Japanese Studies, Curtin University, 1998–2004.
Member of ARC College of Experts (Humanities and Creative Arts), 2003–2005
University of Wollongong Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Research Supervision (2018)
Inoue Yasushi Award for Outstanding Research on Japanese Literature in Australasia (2011).
- Vera Mackie, Nicola Marks and Sarah Ferber (eds) (in press) The Body and the Globe: From IVF to the Global Reproductive Industry, Lanham: Lexington.
- Sharon Crozier-De Rosa and Vera Mackie (2019) Remembering Women’s Activism, Oxon: Routledge.
- Vera Mackie (ed.) (2017) Sexualities – Special Issue on Rethinking Sexual Citizenship: Asia-Pacific Perspectives.
- Carol Johnson, Vera Mackie and Tessa Morris-Suzuki (eds) (2015) The Social Sciences in the Asian Century, Canberra: ANU Press
- Mark McLelland and Vera Mackie (eds) (2015) Routledge Handbook of Sexuality Studies in East Asia, Oxon: Routledge.
- Vera Mackie (ed.) (2015) Ways of Knowing about Human Rights in Asia, Oxon: Routledge [originally special issue of Asian Studies Review].
- Andrea Germer, Ulrike Wöhr and Vera Mackie (eds) (2014) Gender, Nation and State in Modern Japan, Oxon: Routledge.
- Vera Mackie (ed.) (2013) Asian Studies Review –Special Issue on Human Rights in Asia.
- Vera Mackie (ed.) (2011) Japanese Studies – Special Issue on the Cultural Politics of the City in Modern Japan.
- Vera Mackie and Mark Pendleton (eds) (2010) Intersections: Gender and Sexuality in Asia and the Pacific – Special Issue on Performing Globalisation.
- Vera Mackie and Carolyn S. Stevens (eds) (2009) Asian Studies Review – Special Issue on Globalisation and Body Politics.
- Vera Mackie, Ikuko Nakane and Emi Otsuji (eds) (2009) Portal: Journal of Multidisciplinary International Studies – Special Issue on The Space Between: Languages, Translations, Cultures
- Vera Mackie and Sarah Pinto (eds) Intersections: Gender, History and Culture in the Asian Context – Special Issue on Gender, Governance and Security in Australia, Asia and the Pacific.
- Vera Mackie (2003) Feminism in Modern Japan: Citizenship, Embodiment and Sexuality. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Vera Mackie (2003) Gurôbaruka to Jendā Hyōshō; [Globalisation and Representations of Gender] Tokyo: Ochanomizu Shobô.
- Paul Jones and Vera Mackie (eds) (2001) Relationships: Japan and Australia, 1870s–1950s. Melbourne: History Monographs and RMIT Publishing.
- Anne-Marie Hildson, Martha Macintyre, Vera Mackie and Maila Stivens (eds) (2000) Human Rights and Gender Politics: Asia-Pacific Perspectives. London: Routledge.
- Vera Mackie (1997) Creating Socialist Women in Japan: Gender, Labour and Activism. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.