Specialisation: mathematics education, engineering education, STEM education
Professor Lyn English is a research professor in the field of STEM education (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) in the primary and middle school years. She specialises in mathematical modelling, mathematical and statistical reasoning, problem solving, engineering education, and STEM education across the curriclum. She has been, and continues to be, the recipient of multiple ARC grants spanning almost 25 years. She is the founding editor of the international journal “Mathematical Thinking and Learning” (Taylor & Francis, 5-year impact factor of 1.09), and editor of several book series addressing mathematics education across grade levels.
- Professor of STEM in education, QUT
- Senior Research Scientist (adjunct) of the Kaput Center for Research and Innovation in STEM Education at the University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth
- Mathematics Education Research Group of Australasia Career Research Medal, 2012
- Australian Association for Research in Education, Inaugural Outstanding Doctoral Thesis Award (1989)
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (USA), Outstanding Dissertation Award (1989)
- Mathematics Education Research Group of Australasia, Practical Implications Award (1997)
- Queensland IT & T Awards for Excellence in Technology (1998)
- English, L. D., & Kirshner, D. (Eds.). (2015; 2016). Handbook of international research in mathematics education (3rd edn.). New York: Taylor & Francis.
- English, L. D., & Gainsburg, J. (2015; 2016). Problem solving in a 21st – century mathematics curriculum. In L. D. English, & D. Kirshner (Eds.), Handbook of international research in mathematics education (3rd Edn)(pp. 313-335). New York: Taylor & Francis.
- English, L. D., & Mulligan, J. (Eds.). (2013). Reconceptualising early mathematics learning.Springer.
- English, L & Sriraman, B. (Eds.). (2010) Theories of Mathematics Education. Taylor and Francis.
- English, L. D. (2012). Data modelling with first-grade students. Educational Studies in Mathematics, 81(1), 15-30.
- English, L. (Ed.). (2008) Handbook of International Research in Mathematics Education (2nd edn). Taylor and Francis.
- English, L. (Ed.). (2004) Mathematical and Analogical Reasoning of Young Learners. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- English, L. D., & Halford, G. S. (1995). Mathematics education: Models and processes. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
Email: l.english [at] qut.edu.au
Mobile: 0407 741 736
Work Phone: 07 3864 3329