Specialisation: agricultural diversity, small farmers, farmer-driven change, environmental history, developing countries
Emeritus Professor Harold Brookfield was Principal Scientific Coordinator of the United Nations University Project on People, Land Management and Environmental Change, funded by the Global Environmental Facility until 2002. He is now joint editor for the same project. He has recently edited two books arising from the project.
His recent research includes:
- work on diversity among the practices of small farmers in developing countries in the tropics and sub-tropics
- work on farmer-driven change in agriculture
- (2003) Agrodiversity: learning from farmers across the world. Tokyo: United Nations Univdersity Press.
- (2002) Cultivating Biodiversity. London: ITDG Publications.
- Harold Brookfield (2001) Exploring Agrodiversity. New York: Columbia University Press.