Specialisation: index numbers, purchasing power parities, output and productivity comparisons, inequality and poverty, performance of nations
Professor D.S. Prasada Rao is a Professor in the School of Economics at the University of Queensland. He has recently moved to the new position at UQ. He is the director of the recently established an Centre for Efficieincy and Productivity Analysis at the University of Queensland. Professor Rao’s research focuses on multilateral index number methods and their applications to international comparisons of real gross domestic product, purchasing power of currencies, and comparisons of output and productivity. His recent research includes:
- framework for measuring global and regional poverty
- productivity growth and catch-up and convergence among nations
- global agricultural output and productivity measurement and analysis
- global and regional inequality
- spatially autocorrelated models for international comparisons
- price index numbers using scanner data
He provides expert advice to the FAO of United Nations, OECD and the World Bank on matters relating to international comparisons.
- D.S. Prasada Rao and Christopher J. O’Donnell (2002) Transitive Multilaterl Comparisons of Agricultural Output, Input and Productivity: A Nonprametric Approach, In Agricultural Productivity: Measurement and Sources of Growth, pp.85-116. Eldon Ball, V. and George W. Norton (eds.). Boston, USA: Kluwer Cademic Publishers.
- Larry Dwyer, Peter Forsyth and D.S. Prasada Rao (2002) Destination Price Competitiveness: Exchange Rate Changes versus Domestic Inflation, Journal of Travel Research, vol. 40, No. 3, 328-336.
- William F. Shepherd and D.S. Prasada Rao (2002) A Comparison of Real Output and Productivity Levels in Australian and United States Manufacturing, 1970-95, In The Asian Economies in the Twentieth Century, pp.53-81. Angus Maddison, D.S. Prasada Rao and William F. Shepherd (eds.). Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar.
- D.S. Prasada Rao, Angus Maddison and Boon Lee (2002) International Comparison of Farm Sector performance: Methodological Options and Empirical Findings for Asia-Pacific Economies, 1900-94, In The Asian Economies in the Twentieth Century, pp.27-52. Angus Maddison, D.S. Prasada Rao and William F. Shepherd (eds.). Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar.
- D.S. Prasada Rao and T.J. Coelli (2002) Economic Performance of selected Asian countries in an international perspective: economic growth, productivity and inequality, In Productivity and Economic Performance in the Asia-Pacific Region. Tsu-Tan Fu, Cliff J. Huang and C.A. Knox Lovell (eds.). Cheltenham, U.K.: Edward Elgar.
- (2002) The Asian Economies in the Twentieth Century. Cheltenham, United Kingdom: Edward Elgar.