Specialisation: history, biography, universities, philanthropy, poverty, music
Professor Emeritus John Poynter retired from the University of Melbourne in 1994 and as Australian Secretary of the Rhodes Trust in 1997. He continues to write, mainly in the fields of :
- university history
- Australian biography and social and cultural history
- 18th and 19th century British political and social theory
- Dean, Trinity College, University of Melbourne 1953-1964
- Ernest Scott Professor of History, University of Melbourne 1966-1975
- Dean, Faculty of Arts, University of Melbourne 1971-1973
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor, University of Melbourne 1975-1990
- Dean, Faculty of Music, Visual and Performing Arts, University of Melbourne 1991-1993
- Australian Secretary, The Rhodes Trust 1973-1997
- Rhodes Scholarship for Victoria, 1951
- Queen’s Jubilee Medal 1977
- Centenary Medal 2003
- Australian Dictionary of Australia Medal 2004
- Distinguished Friend of Oxford University 2012
- John Poynter and Ben Thomas (2015), Miegunyah: The Bequests of Russell and Mab Grimwade. Melbourne: Miegunyah Press.
- John Poynter (2014) The Audacious Adventures of Dr Louis Lawrence Smith. Melbourne: Australian Scholarly Publishing.
- John Poynter (2009) The Tarnished Swan & Other Sardonic Pieces. North Melbourne.
- John Poynter (2004 & 2008) Mr Felton’s Bequests. Melbourne: Miegunyah Press.
- John Poynter (2001) The Rhodes Scholarships in Australia, In The History of the Rhodes Trust. Sir Anthony Kenny (eds.). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- John Poynter (1997) Doubts and Certainties: A Life of Alexander Leeper. Melbourne: Melbourne University Press.
- John Poynter and Carolyn Rasmussen (1996) A Place Apart; The University of Melbourne: Decades of Challenge. Melbourne: Melbourne University Press.
- JR Poynter (1969) Society and Pauperism: English Ideas on Poor relief 1795-1834. London, Toronto, Melbourne: Routledge and Kegan Paul, Melbourne Univesity Press.
- John Poynter (1967) Russell Grimwade. Melbourne: Melbourne University Press.