Specialisation: population, fertility, development, public policy, demography
Geoffrey McNicoll is a senior associate of the Population Council, a nongovernmental research organization with headquarters in New York. His interests are broadly in development studies, social and political demography, and demographic aspects of public policy, in both low- and high-income countries. He was formerly a professor in the Demography Program of ANU's Research School of Social Sciences; other recent activities include consultancies to FAO, UNFPA, World Bank/Indonesia, and the UN Dept. of Economic and Social Affairs. He is co-editor of the quarterly journal Population and Development Review.
- Geoffrey McNicoll (2006) Policy lessons of the East Asian demographic transition, Population and Development Review 32(1): 1-25.
- Paul Demeny and Geoffrey McNicoll, eds. (2006) The Political Economy of Global Population Change, 1950-2050. Suppl. to Population and Development Review, vol. 32.
- Geoffrey McNicoll (2004) Demographic future of East Asian regional integration, In Remapping East Asia. T. J. Pempel (eds.). Ithaca, N.Y.: Cornell University Press.
- Geoffrey McNicoll (2001) Government and fertility in transitional and post-transitional societies, Population and Development Review 27 (Supplement):129-159.
- Geoffrey McNicoll (1999) Population weights in the international order, Population and Development Review 25(3):411-442.
- Geoffrey McNicoll (1994) Institutional analysis of fertility, In Population, Economic Development, and the Environment. Kerstin Lindahl-Kiessling and Hans Landberg (eds.). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Geoffrey McNicoll (1992) Changing fertility patterns and policies in the third world, Annual Review of Sociology 18:85-108.
Email: gmcnicoll [at] popcouncil.org