Specialisation: education, psychometrics, assessment, curriculum, equity
Emeritus Professor Barry McGaw is Managing Director of McGaw Group Pty Ltd. He is an Honorary Professorial Fellow in the Melbourne Graduate School of Education at the University of Melbourne. He was the Foundation Chair of the Board of the Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority from 2009 to 2015 when he reached the six-year limit on Board membership. From 1999 to 2005, he was Director for Education at the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) in Paris. From 1985 to 1998 he was Executive Director of the Australian Council for Educational Research and, from 1976 to 1984, Professor of Education at Murdoch University in Perth, Western Australia.
His research interests include:
- educational measurement
- policies to enhance equity in education.
2009 - 2015 Chair, Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority Board (part-time)
2011 - 2014 Vice-Chancellor’s Fellow, University of Melbourne (part-time)
2008 - 2009 Chair, Interim National Curriculum Board (part-time)
2006 - 2010 Professorial Fellow, Melbourne Graduate School of Education, University of Melbourne (half-time)
2009 - 2010 Executive Director, Cisco, Intel, Microsoft International Assessment and Teaching of
21st Century Skills project, Melbourne Graduate School of Education, University of
2006 - 2008 Director, Melbourne Education Research Institute, Faculty of Education, University of
2002 - 2005 Foundation Director for Education, Directorate for Education, Organisation for Economic Co-operation
and Development (OECD), Paris, France
1998 - 2002 Deputy Director for Education, Directorate for Education, Employment, Labour and Social Affairs,
Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), Paris, France
1985 - 1998 Executive Director, Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER), Melbourne, Australia
1976 - 1984 Professor of Education, Murdoch University, Perth, Western Australia
Earlier Head, Research and Curricululm Branch, Department of Education, Queensland
Initially Secondary science and mathematics teacher.
Officer of the Order of Australia (2004)
Australian Centenary Medal (2001)
University of Illinois International Alumnus Award for Exceptional Achievement (2006)
Australian Council for Educational Leaders Gold Medal (2012)
Australian College of Educators Medal (1994)
- OECD (2001) Knowledge and Skills for Life: First Results from PISA 2000. Paris, France: OECD.
- Hamilton, D., Keeves, J., McGaw, B., and Resnick, L (1997) Report of a panel to evaluate the ARC Large Grant Funding Scheme: Education 1989-1993. Canberra: National Board of Employment, Education and Training.
- McGaw, B (1997) Shaping their future: Recommendations for reform of the Higher School Certificate. Sydney: Department of Training and Education Co-ordination.
- McGaw, B., Piper, K., Banks, D. and Evans, B (1992) Making schools more effective. Melbourne: Australian Council for Educational Research.
- McGaw, B., Boud, D., Poole, M., Warry, R. and McKenzie, P (1992) Educational research in Australia. Canberra: National Board of Employment, Education and Training.
- McGaw, B., Long, M.G., Morgan, G., and Rosier, M.J (1989) Literacy and numeracy in Victorian Schools: 1988. Melbourne: Australian Council for Educational Research.
- McGaw, B. (1986) Making admission to higher education fairer. Canberra: Australian Capital Territory Schools Authority.
- McGaw, B., Bovell, R., Boyle, A., Clark, M., Cosgrove, B., Dickinson, B., Louden, H., et. Al. (1984) Assessment in the upper secondary school in Western Australia. Perth: Western Australian Government Printer.
- Glass, G. V, McGaw, B, and Smith, M. L (1981) Meta-analysis of social research. Beverly Hills and London: Sage.
Email: barry.mcgaw [at] mcgawgroup.org
Mobile: 0418 890 300