Specialisation: sociology of suicide, housing studies, employee surveys, Sociology of Islam and Muslim Societies, suicide terrorism
Professor Riaz Hassan is Director of the Interantional Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding,, University of South Australia and Emeritus Professor of Sociology at the Flinders University of South Australia.and Visiting Research Professor at the Instiute of South Asian Studies National University of Singapore He specialises in social analysis, sociology of suicide, suicide terrorism, housing studies, sociology of religious life, Muslim societies and development studies.
- Member of the working party on suicide prevention National Health and Medical Research Council;
- Consultant, National Housing Strategy and South Australian Planning Review on housing and location choice surveys, consultant, International Survey Research Corporation.
- He has acted as a consultant to the Boeing Corporation on human factors in airline crashes.
Order of Australia (AM)
- Riaz Hassan (2014) Afghanistan: The Next Phase (Coathor with Shahid Javed Burki and Iftihkar Ahmed Chowdhury,: Melbourne: Melbourne University Press
- Riaz Hassan (2103) Islam and Society: Sociological Explorations. Melbourne: Melbourne University Press
- Riaz Hassan (2011) Suicide Bombings, London and New York: Routledge
- Riaz Hassan (2010 and 2014) Life as a Weapon: The Global Rise of Sucide Bombings, London: Routledge
- Riaz Hassan (2008) Inside Muslim Minds. Melbourne: Melbourne University Press
- Riaz Hassan (ed).(2005) Local and Global: Social Transformation in Southeast Asia. Leiden: Brill Academic Publisher.
- Ian McAllister, Steve Dowrick, Riaz Hassan (eds) (2003) The Cambridge Handbook of Social Sciences in Australia. Melbourne: Cambridge University Press.
- Riaz Hassan (2002) Faithlines: Muslim Conceptions of Islam and Society. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Kosky, R.; Eshkevari, H.; Goldney, R.; Hassan, R. (eds) (1998) Suicide Prevention: The Global Context. London: Plenum Press.
- Riaz Hassan (1995) Suicide Explained: The Australian Experience. Melbourne: Melbourne University Press.
- Riaz Hassan (1983) A Way of Dying;Suicide in Singapore. Oxford University Press
- Riaz Hassan (1977) Families in Flats: A Sociological Study of Low Income Families in Public Housing. Singapore University Press
- Riaz Hassan (1976) ed. Singapore: Society in Transition. Oxford University Press