Discipline: Political Science
Specialisation: Australian constitutional politics and judicial review citizenship and rights protection, including for Aboriginal people, federalism and intergovernmental relations business-government relations.
Professor Brian Galligan is Professor of Political Science Department at the University of Melbourne. Professor Galligan specialises in Australian politics and political economy, particularly: constitutional politics and judicial review, federalism and intergovernmental relations, citizenship and rights protection, inclduing for Aboriginal people, and business-government relations. He has comparative interests in constitutional systems, decentrarlised governance and rights protection, including in Asian countries.
- Professor and Director of the Federalism Research Centre, Research School of Social Sciences, Australian National University, 1992-94
- Visiting Research Fellow of Merton College, Oxford University in 1998
- Visiting Professor of Public and International Affairs, Woodrow Wilson School, Princeton University for 1998-99.
- Professor of Political Science, University of Melbourne 1995-
- Director of the Centre for Public Policy, University of Melbourne, 1995-99
- Head of Department of Political Science, University of Melbourne, 2000-2004
- Head of Political Science Discipline, University of Melbourne 2012-2013
- The Crisp Medal, awarded by the Australasian Political Studies Association for distinction in published work in political science.
- Brian Galligan and Scott Brenton eds (2015) Constitutional Conventions. Cambridge. Cambridge: Cambridge Univeristy Press.
- Brian Galligan, Martina Boese and Melissa Phillips (2014) Becoming Australian: Migration, Settlement, Citizenship. Melbourne: Melbourne University Press.
- Thomas W.D. Davis and Brian Galligan eds (2011) Human Rights in Asia. Cheltenham UK: Edward Elgar.
- Brian Galligan and Winsome Roberts eds (2007) The Oxford Companion to Australian Politics. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Baogang He, Brian Galligan and Takashi Inoguchi eds (2007) Federalism in Asia. Cheltenham UK: Edward Elgar.
- Brian Galligan and Winsome Roberts (2004) Australian Citizenship. Melbourne: Melbourne University Press
- Brian Galligan, Winsome Roberts and Gabriella Trifiletti (2001) Australians and Globalisation: The Experience of Two Centuries. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- John Chesterman and Brian Galligan (1997) Citizens Without Rights: Aborigines and Australian Citizenship. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Brian Galligan (1995) A Federal Republic. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Ann Capling and Brian Galligan (1992) Beyond the Protective State. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Brian Galligan (1989) Utah and Queensland Coal. St. Lucia, Qld: University of Queensland Press.
- Brian Galligan (1987) Politics of the High Court. St. Lucia, Qld: University of Queensland Press.
Email: galligan [at] unimelb.edu.au