Personal information collected by the Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia (ASSA) is treated as confidential and is protected by the Privacy Act 1988. Personal information is information relating to an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, from the information or opinion provided.
This site is operated by ASSA via an external internet service provider. When visiting this site, a record of your visit is logged. The following information is recorded for statistical purposes and is used by ASSA to help improve the site. The following information is supplied by your browser:
- the user’s server address
- the user’s operating system (for example Windows, Mac etc)
- the user’s top level domain name (for example .com, .gov, .au, .uk etc)
- the date and time of the visit to the site
- the pages accessed and the documents downloaded
- the previous site visited
- the type of browser used.
No attempt will be made to identify users or their browsing activities except in the unlikely event of an investigation, where police may exercise a warrant to inspect the internet service provider’s logs.
Collection of personal information
When you e-mail us:
- we will record your e-mail address
- we will only use your e-mail address for the purpose for which you provided it
- it will not be added to a mailing list
- we will not use your e-mail address for any other purpose
- we will not disclose it without your consent except where ASSA may be required by law to disclose certain information.
Should you decide to use an online form, such as one used by ASSA Fellows Profiles:
- we will record your name, e-mail address, street address, telephone number, occupation, company, area of interest and other personal information provided
- we will only use this information for the purpose for which you provided it
- the information will not be added to a mailing list
- we will not disclose this information without your consent except where ASSA may be required by law to disclose certain information.
We will, at your request, provide you with access to any information which we have collected about you through this website in accordance with Information Privacy Principle 6, Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). To gain access to this information you should contact us (see details below). If you believe that any information is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date, please contact us and we will revise it.
Security of information
Your personal information will not be released unless the law requires or permits it or your permission is given. We provide a secure environment and a reliable system but you should be aware that there may be inherent risks associated with the transmission of information via the internet. For those who do not wish to use the internet, ASSA provides alternative ways of obtaining and providing information.