Specialisation: Management accounting; professionalisation of accounting
Wai Fong Chua is a Professor in the Discipline of Accounting at the University of Sydney
She teaches and researches primarily in the area of management accounting. Her current research projects focus on affect and accounting, the management of inter-organizational relationships and the role of accounting in the marketization of emissions.
She is an Editor at Accounting, Organizations and Society and in 2015 chaired one of two NSW Selection Panels for the General Sir John Monash Scholarships.
2012 - Member of the Order of Australia
2009- Notable Contribution to the Accounting and Finance Research Literature Award
2009 - Honorary Doctorate, Universtiy of Jyvaskyla, Finland
- P.Andon, J. Baxter and W.F. Chua (2015) Accounting for Stakeholders and Making Accounting Useful, Journal of Management Studies 52 (7): 986-1002.
- C.Boedker and W.F. Chua (2013) Accounting as an Affective Technology: a Study of Circulation, Agency and Entrancement, Accounting, Organizations and Society 38(4): 245-267.
- W.F. Chua and H. Mahama (2012) On Theory as a 'Deliverable' and its Relevance in 'Policy" Arenas, Critical Perspectives on Accounting 23(1): 78-82.
- W.F. Chua (2011) The Use of Collaborative Inter-firm Contracts in the Presence of Task and Demand Uncertainty - A Discussion, Contemporary Accounting Research 28(4): 1423-1428.
- W.F.Chua (2011) In Search of 'Successful' Accounting Research, European Accounting Review 20(1):27-39.
- B.Burfitt, W.F.Chua and J.Baxter (2009) Inter-organisational Alliances and the Importance of Accounting for Value- in-Kind Transactions: Exploring the Role of Formal Management Accounting Controls, The Australian Accounting Review 19(49) : 65-79.
- R. Simnett, A. Vanstraelen, W.F. Chua (2009) Assurance on Sustainability Reports: An International Comparison, The Accounting Review :937-968.
- W.F. Chua & S. Taylor (2008) The Rise and Rise of IFRS: An Examination of their Diffusion, Journal of Accounting and Public Policy 27(6): 462-473.
- J.Baxter and W.F. Chua (2008) Be(com)ing the Chief Financial Officer of an Organisation: Experimenting with Bourdieu's Practice Theory, Management Accounting Research 19: 212-230.
- J.Baxter and W.F. Chua (2008) The Field Researcher as Author-Writer, Qualitative Research in Accounting and Management 5(2) :101-121.
- J.Baxter, C.Boedker and W.F.Chua (2008) The Future(s) of Interpretive Accounting Research - a Polyphonic Response from beyond the Metropolis, Critical Perspectives on Accounting 19: 880-886.
- W.F. Chua (2007) Accounting, Measuring, Reporting and Strategizing - Re-using Verbs: A Review Essay, Accounting, Organizations and Society 32(4-5): 487-94.
- W.F. Chua & H. Mahama (2007) The Effect of Network Ties on Accounting Controls in a Supply Alliance: Field Study Evidence, Contemporary Accounting Research 24: 47-86.
- W.F. Chua (2006) Extended Performance Reporting: a Review of Empirical Studies, Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia.
- M.Dyball, W.F. Chua and C. Poullaos (2006) Mediating between Colonizer and Colonized in the American Empire: Accountign for Government Monies in the Philippines, Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal 19(6): 47-81.
Email: waifong.chua [at] sydney.edu.au